- Smart Cities: I have been doing research on the topic since the early beginning of the Digital-to-Intelligent-to-Smart Cities movement. I have worked in this field at MIT, IBM, ARUP, and the Greater London Authority. My research has originated the “Data for London” City Data Strategy of the Mayor of London – the world’s first strategy designed to create an effective data ecosystem in London which has maximum impact on the creation of innovative and cost-effective smart city services capable of solving London’s urban challenges.
- The Internet of Things: I worked leading the Internet of Things architecture of ARUP Digital. My work included extensive technology, market and HCI research, physical infrastructure and legacy systems integration, data infrastructures and pervasive technologies design. I have made substantial contributions to the development of architectures for IoT and Linked Data applications, and received a patent while working at IBM on Smart Buildings & Augmented Reality applications.
- Biomedical Engineering: I have pioneered a novel form of signal/image processing techniques which allows the restoration of lost information in analogic/digital mammography images in order to increase the early detection of breast cancer in both young and old women. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women and one of the major causes of women death all over the world. The possibility of cure can increase about 30% if it is detected still in its early stages, as late detection of tumors in advanced stage makes treatment more difficult. This technique and its models developed in my MPhil thesis can be applied to assist Intelligent Computer Aided Diagnosis Systems to improve the performance of breast cancer screening – increased detectability of features without increasing false-positive rates. In practice, a false negative could mean a case of breast cancer that was not detected and a false positive may refer to a patient doing unnecessary additional examination, such as a breast biopsy. This technique is expected to eliminate false negatives cases and also reduce false positives cases.
Participation in Research Projects
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things, ARUP.
- Digital City Exchange Project, Project Funded by the EPSRC, Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- Aeronautical Project Management, Department of Management Science, Project Funded by the University of Quebec, Canada
- Meta-learning technique for forecasting model selection: supply chain application, Lancaster University
- Technetium-99m-ECD prescription for ictal SPECT in an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit Nuclear Medicine Department of the University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
- Computational System for automatic evaluation of control quality parameters in mammography units using CCD sensors. School of Engineering, University of São Paulo, Brazil , Project funded by São Paulo Research Foundation – FAPESP
- Mammography images restoration by quantum noise reduction and MTF filtering, School of Engineering, University of São Paulo, Brazil, Project funded by Brazilian Government – CAPES
Academic Supervision and Orientation
MSc Financial Computing Thesis (Credit Suisse/Satalia/UCL Alliance) – 2014
- George Wooding, Migration of the Derivatives Light Reporting tool to the strategic architecture
- Finn Wheatley, Algorithmic Optimization of Supply Chain Risk Assessment
- Filip Tzonov, Post Trade Processing of OTC Equity Derivatives
- Miao Sun, Marketing Prediction using Sentiment Analysis and Big Data
- Xiang Xin, Texting Mining in Financial Reports using Latent Dirichlet Allocation
MSc Software Systems Engineering Thesis (Microsoft/UCL Alliance) – 2012
- Echizen Nobuko. Assembly Similarity Analysis
- Simone Persadie. A Software Visualisation System for Comparing and Evaluating the Evolution of SCRUM Projects
- Milan Krizalkovic, Analytics Tools with Natural User Interaction for Visual Studio Architect Edition*
- Yolina D Sotirova, Agile visualization and analytics Platform for Visual Studio
- Jisang Choi, Morrison Cole, Richy Davis, Daniyar Kaliyev, Markus Padourek. OcuupOS – Smart Building Management
BSc Computer Science Dissertation (University Centre Barão de Mauá, Brazil)
- Rodrigo Rogério zereira. Development of administrative software using 3-Tier architectural design and Adobe Flex. 2010.
- Tiago Ferreira Borges. Automatic parameterization of CAD systems for mammography using Fuzzy Logic. 2009.
- Manoel Duarte Moreira Neto. Digital image processing as a tool to support decision making process in medical practice. 2009.
- Senior Teaching Assistant (2011, 2012, 2013) – Department of Computer Science, University College LondonMSc Modules: Software Engineering, Introductory Programming, MSIN2009 Software Engineering, 3001 Technology Management and Professional Issues, M022/GS02 Advanced Analysis and Design, GC02 Design, INST1003 Information Systems.
- Teaching Assistant (2010,2011) – Department of Management Science, Lancaster UniversityMSc Modules: MSCI526 Data mining for Marketing, Sales and Finance, MSCI521 Forecasting
- Visiting Lecturer (2008-2009) – Department of Management Science, University Federal of Parana, International joint program with the Université Paris-Dauphine (France) and Laval University (Canada).MBA in Management of Logistics Systems. Modules Taught: Systems to support decision making process in supply chain
- Lecturer (2009 – 2010) – Department of Computer Science, University Centre Barao de MauaBSc Modules Taught: Introduction to Design Web, Introduction to Web Programming, Extensible Language Marking, Informatics applied to Agribusiness, Computer Graphics, Computational Logics, Discrete Mathematics, Operational Research, Digital Image Processing.
- Teaching Assistant (2008 – 2009) – Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Sao Paulo – EESCBEng’s Modules: Introduction to Computer Vision
- Department of Computer Science, University Centre Barao de Maua
- Member of the Coordination of Extension Activities
- Member of the Coordination of R&D Project
- Member of the All Parliamentary Party Group (APPG) Smart Cities.
- Publisher Assistant – Journal of Modern Project Management, 2013.
- Founder and President of the UCL Student Society of Women Engineers – UCLWE, 2013.
Scientific Journal Referee
- Reviewer of IEEE Computers, Since 2014.
- Reviewer of the Journal of Digital Image (Springer), Since 2012.
- Reviewer of the IEEE Transactions of Signal Processing, Since 2012.
- Reviewer of the Journal of Biological Systems (World Scientific), Since 2012.
- Reviewer of the X Brazilian Symposium in Intelligent Automation, 2011.