Selected Published Work
- SUZUKI, L., FINKELSTEIN A. (2018) Data as Infrastructure for Smart Cities.
- SUZUKI, L.R. (2017) Smart Cities IoT: Enablers and Technology Road Map. In: Rassia S., Pardalos P. (eds) Smart City Networks. Springer Optimization and Its Applications, vol 125. Springer.
- SUZUKI, L., COOPER, P., et al. (2015). Hidden Presence: Sensing Occupancy and Extracting Value from Occupancy Data. Design, User Experience, and Usability: Interactive Experience Design: 4th International Conference, DUXU 2015. Springer International Publishing: 412-424.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., VIEIRA, M. A. C., SCHIABEL, H. (2009). Enhancement of Breast Images by Noise Reduction and MTF Compensation to Improve Microcalcifications Detection. In: Dössel, O., Schlegel, W. C., Magjarevic, R. (eds) World Congress on Medical Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. ISBN: 978-3-642-03882-2.
- SUZUKI, L. The Internet of Things, the hype and the Road map, IET Eng. Technol. Ref., pp. 1–12
- ROMUALDO-SUZUKI, Data Integration Approaches for Smarter Operation of Large Commercial Buildings, IET.
- AMARAL-SILVA, H. T., WICHERT-ANA, L., ROMUALDO-SUZUKI, L. C. S., MURTA JR., L. O., SAKAMOTO, A. C., AZEVEDO-MARQUES, P. M. (2014) The Superiority of Tsallis Entropy over Traditional Cost Functions for Brain MRI and SPECT Registration. Entropy 16(3).
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., VIEIRA, M. A. C., SCHIABEL, H., MASCARENHAS, N. D. A., BORGES, L. R. (2012) Mammographic Image Denoising and Enhancement using the Anscombe Transformation, Adaptative Wiener Filter and the Modulation Transfer Function. Journal of Digital Image (Springer).
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., BAPTISTA, E., VIEIRA, D. R. (2009). A Fuzzy-Wavelet expert system for supply chain demand forecasting. Logistics World Magazine, v.14, p.8 – 16.
- SUZUKI, L. (2018) Project Management sector gets to grips with emerging technology. Project Management – Media Planet
- SUZUKI, L. (2017). Designing Smart Cities. PC Pro
- SUZUKI, L. et al. (2016) Requirements Specifications for Urban Platforms, Prepared for the European Commission
- SUZUKI, L. (2016) Data for London, A City Data Strategy, Prepared for the Mayor of London
- SUZUKI, L. (2014) Data integration approaches for smarter operation of large commercial buildings. IET Essential Engineering Intelligence for Built Environment and Information & Communications.
- ROMUALDO SUZUKI, L. (2011) Meta Learning techniques for intermittent demand forecasting, MRes equivalent, Lancaster University Management School.
- ROMUALDO SUZUKI, L. (2009) Application of super-resolution techniques in SPECT images to aid diagnosis in epilepsy. PhD in Biomedicine (Interrupted) – School of Medicine of the University of Sao Paulo.
- ROMUALDO SUZUKI, L. (2011-2015) Data as Infrastructure for Smart Cities . University College London, Ph.D. in Computer Science
- ROMUALDO, L. (2008-2009) Digital mamographic images restoration using Wiener filter in Anscombe domain and inverse MTF filter in frequency domain (Portuguese). University of Sao Paulo, MPhil in Electrical Engineering
- ROMUALDO, L. (2006-2007) A Fuzzy-Wavelet Expert System for supply chain demand forecast (Portuguese).. University Centre Barao de Maua, BSc in Computer Science
- ROMUALDO-SUZUKI, L. C. S (2014) A Linked Data Platform Ecosystem for the Design and Realisation of Smart and Sustainable Cities. Winner (3rd Place) ACM Research Competition at GHC.
- ROMUALDO-SUZUKI, L. C. S., BROWN, K., PIPES, S., IBBOTSON, J. (2014) Smart Building Management through Augmented Reality. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, 2014.
- ROMUALDO-SUZUKI, L. C. S. A linked-data middleware platform to support urban as-a-service. Proceedings of the Grace Hopper Conference 2013.
- ROMUALDO-SUZUKI, L. C. S., FINKELSTEIN, A., GANN, D. A Middleware Framework for Smart Cities Data Management. To appear in the Proceedings of the 2013 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2013).
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., VIEIRA, M. A. C., SCHIABEL, H., MASCARENHAS, N. D. A. (2011). Enhancing Dense Breast Images Using the Anscombe Transformation and the Modulation Transfer Function. In: Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine 2011 Meeting, 2011, Washington DC – USA. Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine 2011 Meeting Abstract & Proceedings Book.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., CRONE, S. (2011). Meta Learning using multiple forecast errors: Automatic Model Selection of Exponential Smoothing. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual Symposium on Forecasting, Prague – Czec Republic
- SUZUKI, T. S., ROMUALDO, L. C. S., BAPTISTA, E. (2010). A N-tier application to improve the integration of transport management systems in the Electronic Transport Knowledge: a case of study. In: Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Computational Interdisciplinary Sciences (CCIS), 2010, São José dos Campos-SP. 1st Conference on Computational Interdisciplinary Sciences.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., VIEIRA, M. A. C., SCHIABEL, H. (2009). Mammography Images Restoration by Quantum Noise Reduction and Inverse MTF Filtering. IEEE Computer Society Conference Proceeding of XXII Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing (SIBGRAPI). Porto Alegre – RS: Sociedade Brasileira de Computação, p.180 – 184.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., VIEIRA, M. A. C., SCHIABEL, H. (2009). A pre-processing technique to improve the performance of a computer-aided detection scheme in mammography. In: Proceedings of the V Workshop in Computer Vision, São José do Rio Preto-SP.
- ROMUALDO, L. S. , VIEIRA, M. A. C. ; SCHIABEL, H. (2008). A tool for pre-processing to standardize the quality of medical image databases”. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of Radiology / XXIV Interamerican Congress of Radiology, Belo Horizonte, MG.
- ROMUALDO, L. S. , VIEIRA, M. A. C. ; SCHIABEL, H.; GOES, C. E. (2008). Enhancement of microcalcifications in digitized mammograms using Butterworth band-pass filter in the frequency domain. In: Proceedings of the XXI Brazilian Congress of Biomedical Engineering. Salvador, BA: SBEB.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., VIEIRA, M. A. C., SCHIABEL, H. (2008). Pre-processing of digital mammography: a technique for microcalcification enhancement in the digital domain. In: Proceedings of the XI Brazilian Conference in Health Informatics, Campos do Jordão-SP.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., BAPTISTA, E. (2007). Fuzzy Logic based intelligent support systems applied in decision making process. In: Proceedings of the VII Conference of Scientific Initiation of the Federal University of São Carlos.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., BAPTISTA, E. (2007). Artificial intelligent applied to supply chain demand forecasting: a fuzzy model combination using Holt-Winters and Time series decomposition. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium of Scientific Initiation, v.15.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., BAPTISTA, E. (2007). Intelligent Systems to support decision making based on fuzzy logic. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium of Scientific Initiation, v.15.
- ROMUALDO, L. C. S., BAPTISTA, E. (2007). A Fuzzy System for risk factor measurement in granting a loan. In: Proceedings of the 8º Conference of Scientific Initiation and Research of the University of Ribeirão Preto.
Smart City Research
Academic Scientific Career
My journey in engineering started at the age of 16. My professional academic career started at the age of 18 and it includes:
- Scientific Initiation Fellow of University Centre Barao de Maua
- Teaching Assistant of University of Sao Paulo
- Lecturer at University Centre Barao de Maua
- Member of the Coordination of Extension/Internship activities of University Centre Barao de Maua
- Member of the Coordination of R&D projects of University Centre Barao de Maua
- Visiting Lecturer in the MBA program of University of Parana
- Teaching Assistant of Lancaster University
- Teaching Assistant of UCL
- Honorary Research Associate of UCL
- Honorary Associate Professor of UCL
- Guest Lecturer at Oxford University
I’ve supervised/co-supervised over 20 BSc/MSc dissertations and projects, some of which were considered outstanding projects in software engineering (IoT, Smart Homes), and a project which became an embedded feature in the Microsoft Visual Studio. These projects were part of an alliance between UCL and organisations such as Microsoft, Satalia, Credit Suisse.
During my PhD was a member of the Software Engineering Group at UCL, Digital City Exchange at Imperial College Business School and at the Senseable City Lab at MIT.
I’ve published several research papers academic journals, books and conferences, am a frequent Keynote, conference and panel speaker (including TEDx).
I have been a committee member of the Grace Hopper Conference since 2014, and I am an elected member of the Technical and Professional Networks Communities Committee of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). I am also a judge and/or reviewer of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Global Research Competition, Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng) Impact Grants Project Applications awards; and journals / papers of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and Springer journals. I also chair the Tech London Advocates Smart Cities, and the R&D category of the IET Innovation Awards.
- Guest Lecturer (2021) – Department of Continued Education, Oxford University
- Artificial Intelligence: Cloud and Edge Implementations course
- Artificial Intelligence: Cloud and Edge Implementations course
- Senior Teaching Assistant (2011, 2012, 2013) – Department of Computer Science, University College London
- MSc Modules: Software Engineering, Introductory Programming, MSIN2009 Software Engineering, 3001 Technology Management and Professional Issues, M022/GS02 Advanced Analysis and Design, GC02 Design, INST1003 Information Systems.
- Teaching Assistant (2010,2011) – Department of Management Science, Lancaster University
- MSc Modules: MSCI526 Data mining for Marketing, Sales and Finance, MSCI521 Forecasting
- Visiting Lecturer (2008-2009) – Department of Management Science, University Federal of Parana, International joint program with the Université Paris-Dauphine (France) and Laval University (Canada).MBA in Management of Logistics Systems.
- MBA Modules: Systems to support decision making process in supply chain
- Lecturer (2009 – 2010) – Department of Computer Science, University Centre Barao de Maua
- BSc Modules: Introduction to Design Web, Introduction to Web Programming, Extensible Language Marking, Informatics applied to Agribusiness, Computer Graphics, Computational Logics, Discrete Mathematics, Operational Research, Digital Image Processing.
- Teaching Assistant (2008 – 2009) – Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Sao Paulo – EESC
- BEng’s Modules: Introduction to Computer Vision
Participation in Research Projects
- USP Nuclear Medicine – Self adaptive machine learning methods applied to SPECT neuroimaging for the early diagnosis of Alzheimer and Epilepsy (University of Sao Paulo Medical School)
- TfL & Microsoft – Pedestrian Simulation and visualisation models using mixed reality holograms
- IET – Data Integration Approaches for Smarter Operation of Large Commercial Buildings
- ARUP – Sensing Occupancy and Extracting Value from Occupancy Data
- Oracle – Data Science Development Toolkit
- USP – The Superiority of Tsallis Entropy over Traditional Cost Functions for Brain MRI and SPECT Registration, Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
- ARUP– A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things
- Imperial College London – Digital City Exchange Project
- Lancaster Centre for Forecasting – Meta-learning technique for forecasting model selection: supply chain application
- USP Nuclear Medicine – Technetium-99m-ECD prescription for ictal SPECT in an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (University of Sao Paulo Medical School)
- USP/FAPESP – Computational System for automatic evaluation of control quality parameters in mammography units using CCD sensors. (University of São Paulo)
- CAPES – Mammography images restoration by quantum noise reduction and MTF filtering, School of Engineering, University of São Paulo, Brazil, Project funded by Brazilian Government